You have to love YouTube. We were clicking through our regular loop of videos when something “new” popped up in the window — a song called “Yard Sale” by country crooner Sammy Kershaw.
Go on, give it a listen. http://youtu.be/kF1CYC6L-2E
This is one we’ve never heard before. Must be that Mr. Kershaw wasn’t a family favorite in the Yard Sale Secrets household, since we certainly heard a lot of country music while tooling around in the back seat of mom’s station wagon.
The song, which came out in 1992, peaked at No. 17 in the U.S. charts. In it we see Sammy selling off his memories one at a time — all the while pining for his lost love.
Yep it’s typical country.
As we watched, we kept on looking for price tags on his stuff we noticed a few things:
- 38 seconds in Sammy is trying to sell some ice cube trays. One of those things you should never sell. It’s just kind of gross.
- At 1:04, he’s committing another no-no — leaving records out in the sun to warp!
- Not long after, he hasn’t bothered to fold up those nice blankets. In fact, he left them in his steamer chest! It’s all about presentation, Sammy!
- By 1:34, he’s learning a few things. He grouped his like items together. Why buy one vintage Kentucky Derby glass when you can buy two?
- We award him bonus points at 1:57 because he was smart enough to put that pretty dress on a hangar.
- Well into the video, we see the closing minutes of his yard sale, and he’s still got lots of stuff. Our advice: Keep those tables closer together and consolidate them as you go. Move the big items out front to get a little curb appeal. And, brother, no one’s gonna buy a wedding dress that’s been dragged through your lawn.
- And throughout the video, we were h hoping to catch a glimpse at sale prices. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a single one to be seen. No florescent pre-printed stickers. No masking tape. Not even a sign.
Bad form, Sammy! You should price everything at your yard sale.Read More